Patricia Spencer reports on the recent SDFHS Open Day
After a very wet start to the day, the sun came out in Sherborne in the late morning on Saturday, encouraging shoppers to drop into our Sherborne Research Centre for our Open Day. Many commented on our lovely premises, which we lease from the Sherborne Almshouse, founded in the fifteenth century. Our building isn’t quite as old – part of it was built in 1893 when the previous buildings on the site were demolished to widen Cheap Street; the remainder (which possibly dates back to the seventeenth century) was the rear of ‘Ye Central Coffee Palace’ on Half Moon Street, and before that the Sherborne Stamp Office (in effect, Sherborne’s first Post Office).
During the day we had a steady stream of people with most choosing to have their complimentary coffees/teas and home-made cakes (baked by Volunteers) before exploring our Research…
View original post 382 more words